Achy, bloated stomach, even-more-than-usual tired, longing for someone to burp me like a baby, I've been mostly down for three days. (Now, please understand that by "mostly down," I mean I've met my clients, I've taught my classes, and I performed my day job, albeit with far less zest than most days.)
Every time I get sick, I remind myself to appreciate how good not feeling bad feels. And I might think about if for a few days after the ick passes, but just as quickly as the sickness makes itself known, so does the gratitude that it is gone.
Working with an aging, ailing population on a daily basis reminds me that I need to take care of what I've got while I've got it (body and brain), but I almost never take a moment to scan my body that is free of aches (other than the ones I proudly earned at boot camp or on the trails) and appreciate just how wonderful that is.
So it's going on my calendar. A daily reminder to express gratitude for health. I'll likely begin ignoring it after a few days or weeks, but a daily thanksgiving reminder will surely spark a smile even if I delete the memo the moment it nudges me.
No comments:
Post a Comment