Sunday, March 16, 2014

Like Riding a Bike?

I sure hope so. It's been almost two years since I've blogged and I don't know if I can hold to my old standard of reasonably proper grammar and charming wit -- at least until I get rolling again.

So much has happened since I abandoned my Mountain of Laundry. The job that was eating at my soul ended -- abruptly -- when they eliminated my position. "Restructuring" they called it. Being laid off during a prolonged recession is what I called it. It's a classy organization "founded on Christian principles" that releases its single mom staffers in December (or any time for that matter). But I turned that downpour into a pretty darn nice bed of flowers.

I used that stint of unemployment for my greater good. Through hard work and a touch of serendipity, I managed to earn a spot in Iowa State's dietetic internship program in June of '13. Five months later I passed a big expensive test and am now a registered dietitian. I'm really, really proud of myself for finishing what I started way back in 2009. It took another couple of months to land a job, but I now sign my name followed by RD LD/N numerous times a day. And I love it. Every time.

My long term relationship ended. Three and a half years of near-magic began to unravel about the time I began the internship and we called it quits shortly into the new year. It had been quite a ride and we tried too hard (or at least too long) to stay together, but at the end of it all, he was tired of making me sad and I was tired of being sad. We are communicating as friends right now (with occasional benefits). It's impossible to know where this journey will end. Our friendship is one of the most precious somethings I've known. I can't imagine losing that.

Other biggies...I did a triathlon and another marathon. I bought a new [to me] car. The kids are 12, 14, & 18. I got a tattoo.

I am sad that I don't have the challenges and championships of the last two years chronicled, but I continue to learn that it's never too late to remedy the mistakes of the past, so I'll just start from here and we'll see where this goes. I will be more honest and open than before. No more editing myself just in case my mom is reading.

Be well...

No comments:

Post a Comment